For years, the Vagabond’s House was a haven where artists
would stay for weeks and months at a time, writing or painting,
or just relaxing in the shade of the large oak tree in the courtyard.
Don Blanding was one author who stayed here. In 1928, he wrote
the poem “Vagabond’s House,” from which the
inn gets its name.
We are carrying on the legacy of the artists’ retreat
that was so much of Carmel’s history, by featuring the
art of our local artists in each of the rooms.